Things have certainly changed since my last visit to Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort. The new Gran Destino Tower will open on July 9, 2019. The Villa del Lago Restaurant should have the same opening date. Check out all the exciting changes below.
Check out 198 pictures from all over the Coronado Springs Resort.
Here is what we know and what to expect:
- A new 15-story luxury tower, which is now being called the Gran Destino is being constructed at the front of the resort. The tower will contain over 500 rooms, including large luxury club level suites. A rooftop restaurant, bar and viewing deck will provide amazing views of all four theme parks. Reservations are now being accepted.
- A floating restaurant bar and grill (named Villa del Lago) is being constructed in Lago Dorado, the lake in the center of the resort. Brand new walkways will connect the restaurant to the different resort areas (Cabanas, Ranchos and Casitas).
- All the rooms on property have completed the renovation process (click here for renovated room tour). Also take a look at a Junior Suite – King.
- Pepper Market changed the name to El Mercado de Coronado. The interior has been updated to reflect the new Mexican theme.
- The overall theme of the resort has been changing as well. The color pallet has gone from the rusty orange southwestern United States decor, to a predominantly Spanish theme, based on the artwork of Salvador Dali. We now see more earth tones (beautiful blue and tan colors).
- The Dig Site is now officially reopened.
- The current El Centro parking lot has reopened and has been gradually raised in order to meet the new second floor lobby area.
- The current El Centro lobby will eventually be opened and joined to the new high rise giving covered access between buildings.
- Bus stop number one in front of El Centro has been temporally moved in front of the convention center entrance.
- Panchito’s, the gift shop inside El Centro underwent a cosmetic renovation. It has more of a modern Mexican market feel now. The Panchito character is now back inside.
- Coronado Springs will be focusing on new technology, especially in the lobby area. There will no longer be a line queue or check in desk. Cast Members will greet guests directly upon arrival and utilize a tablet for the check in process. The current El Centro lobby will be maintained for large groups and convention goers.
The Dig Site
The main pool, recreation and playground area officially reopened on December 7. All children’s activities, campfire and the “Movie Under the Stars” moved back to the Dig Site.
The Siesta Cantina also reopened and offers a wide variety of drink specials along with a tasty food menu. Check out my fun food review below.
The new Gran Destino Tower will contain over 500 guest rooms, including club level suites. Work continues on the exterior and construction crews are hard at work on the interior as well.
The grand two story lobby now has framing for the windows located on the rear of the tower.
The porte cochere iron framework has started on the front side of the building. Eventually the parking lot will extend up to the main entrance.
This is not a DVC exclusive tower, normal reservations are now being accepted. The resort rooms will remain at a moderate price point, while the tower will be at a higher price level.
The Floating Restaurant
The Villa del Lago, restaurant will certainly be a very entertaining and exciting place to spend an evening. The new restaurant will seat 60 guests, with designated areas set to accommodate an additional 90 guests.
The fence is now up on the walkway closest to El Centro.
El Centro Bus Stop
Bus stop number one has been moved from the front of El Centro to the front of the Convention Center. This is only a short walk from the main entrance. Eventually this bus stop will move closer to the Gran Destinio Tower.
All rooms on property have completed their renovations and are available to guests. Once the new tower is open, it will have a “9” series of room numbers.
See a renovated room here.
- Buildings 1-5 are all complete
- Buildings 1, 2 & 3 are preferred rooms
- Buildings 4 & 5 are standard rooms
- Building 6A is complete
- Building 6B is complete
- Building 7A is complete
- Building 7B is complete
- Building 8A is complete
- Building 8B is complete
- Building 8C (formerly 9A) is complete
Make sure to follow along at PASSPORT TO THE PARKS for future updates and fun.