Today was another great experience at Disney’s Coronado Springs. So much has changed since my last update, it’s hard to believe all the progress that’s been done. They are moving at such a rapid pace, it certainly looks like they will be on schedule for completion in summer 2019.
Click here for all pictures
So I always like to start with what’s happening:
- A new 15-story luxury tower is being constructed at the front of the resort. The tower will contain over 500 room including luxury suites and concierge-level services. A rooftop restaurant, bar and viewing deck will provide amazing views of all four theme parks.
- A floating restaurant bar and grill (which we now know is named Villa del Lago) is being constructed in Lago Dorado, the lake in the center of the resort. Brand new walkways will connect the restaurant to the different resort areas (Cabanas, Ranchos and Casitas).
- More features like lighted boardwalks, landscaping and meeting areas will be added.
- Most of the rooms have been renovated (click here for renovated room tour). There are select buildings still under construction, a map below will explain the renovation progress.
- The theme of the resort will change from the current southwestern United States decor, to a predominantly Spanish theme based on the artwork of Salvador Dali.
- The Dig Site (main pool area) will be closed from September 4 to December 12, 2018.
- The current El Centro parking lot will be closed by the end of this week and will have another level added to raise up to the second floor lobby in the new high rise. A new parking area will open next week during this construction phase.
- The current El Centro lobby will eventually be opened and joined to the new high rise giving covered access between buildings.
- Coronado Springs will be focusing on new technology, especially in the lobby area. There will no longer be a line queue or check in desk. Cast Members will greet guests directly upon arrival and utilize a tablet for the check in process. The current El Centro lobby will be maintained for large groups and convention goers.
Room renovations are near completion. They have moved through this process quickly. Below is a map that I used on my live tour explaining the progress so far.
- Buildings 1-5 are complete
- Buildings 1, 2 & 3 are preferred room
- Buildings 4 & 5 are standard rooms
- Building 6A is complete
- Building 7A is complete
- Building 6B currently under renovation and will open July 30
- Building 7B currently under renovation and will open early August
- Building 8A is complete
- Building 8B will shut down August 8 for renovation
- Building 9A will shut down July 24 for renovation
The Dig Site
The main pool, recreation and playground area will be closed from September 4 to December 12, 2018. All of the secondary pools will remain open during this time. Unfortunately there are no secondary playground areas on Coronado property. If you have any concerns (especially with children), the Disney cast members will always make an effort to help accommodate. Always check with them upon arrival.
The 15-story high rise is simply amazing. It will contain over 500 guest rooms, suites and concierge-level services. The exterior walls are virtually complete and the color is being added. The roof structure, which includes a new restaurant and observation deck is shaping up and it looks like work is underway on some of the interior. The entire structure is going to be beautiful. This is not a DVC exclusive tower, you will be able to make normal reservations, most likely at a premium price level. The views alone will be worth it.
The Floating Restaurant
There was a lot of work done on the foundation for the restaurant (Villa del Lago), but now they are finally starting to build vertical. The exterior framework has started and we can finally see it taking shape. Two of the boardwalks have flooring, but no railing. The third boardwalk that will lead to the Dig Site area has not been started. This is certainly going to make walking to El Centro much easier. The new restaurant will seat 60 guests, with designated areas set to accommodate an additional 90 guests.
El Centro Parking Lot
The new high rise lobby is going to be located on the second floor, so renovations will be underway to raise the current parking lot up to that level. A secondary lot will be open next week to accommodate vehicles during this construction phase. Eventually all the lots will join into one.
I have to give a shout out to all the cast members at Coronado Springs. They are so incredibly nice and extremely helpful. It’s a real pleasure to be around such amazing folks!
I always have such a great time during my construction tours at Disney’s Coronado Springs. The resort is so beautiful, even through this construction phase. The final result is going to be magnificent. I am looking forward to this resort the most. Can’t wait for summer 2019!
Make sure to follow along at PASSPORT TO THE PARKS for future updates and fun.